I've been commissioned to do a personalized version of Alexstraza for a local cosplayer. Now, I normally don't take full armor commissions, but she is going to be competing at Blizzcon and I can't pass up the chance to have my stuff seen on that stage. We've decided to go with a battle version of the character. This has involved a redesign of the chest area, along with the shoulder armor. I'm adding texture and details where ever I can think too, and the client is more than happy to have me do so!
The Blizzfest art contest by Game Artisans has been extended to Oct 1st, so I'm trying to find some time to get something in as well.
Went to SGC 2014 this weekend to help a friend run her booth and decided to enter the cosplay contest too. Was honored with third place for my Cammy. It's a special design done by Bogdanbl4.
Congratulations to the other winners. They had some amazing cosplays. I was told that one of the main things that impressed the judges was that I had sewn the zipper into my fly correctly! lol
It was also a surprise to get to meet some big name Youtubers such as JonTron and AngryJoe. Such cool and interesting people.
Plus, I've updated my prop/cosplay gallery. Some new pictures along with a new format.
I decided to go with the cold-casted version. And I'm very happy with it! I think I'll only do cold-casting with this mold from now on. Keep your eyes open for this item at the Child's Play auction at RTX in Austin next month!
Just as the title says... Ignore Sting. Still trying to get it right. I've got maybe two more nights of work till I'll be done.
Friend of mine took a video of some of the cosplays on display at the con. I appear towards the end in Lynx. Don't forget to check out my group's FB page: www.facebook.com/shinkastudios
The convention was one of the best I've been to in a long time. Not for content really, but more for fun with friends and the debut of a costume that actually did what I wanted it to. Lynx was a dream. The only problem came from the ears, which refused to remain attached to my head. We removed them and the wig was thick enough to cover my real ears. They'll get remade in the future.
It took about two hours the first time I got into it. I'd never use Telesis before, so I was trying to be very careful in its application and drying time. Its a contact adhesive, so you apply it to both the mask and the skin, then allow it to dry and push them together. The heat and pressure reactivates it. I was in costume for about 6 hours Friday. By the end, the adhesive was dissolving and the mask was slowly drifting down my face.
I wore it again for Sunday for a series of photo shoots with Twinzik who provided Harle and Serge. I'll post those when available.
Oh. And I won Best Masters in the cosplay contest! That followed by the Bad Fan Fic Panel, made Friday one of those days that I never want to forget.
Here's the Walk On contest, I appear around min 47 I think:
First off, a friend found this video that has my group's Jabba the Hutt in it. I don't know where in the video because I don't like to watch my stuff in videos (I pick it apart...)
Next comes pictures from the two photoshoots I got to be a part of of. First, the Mass Effect shoot. I re-wore Tal'i as my friend wanted to be Liara and wanted more people to do Mass Effect with her. She's the one I did the headpiece for. This is the first time either of us have applied a full head applience using pros-aide and I'm happy with the result. The seam was nice and thin and she did a great job of blending. The only thing I'd want to improve at this moment is to cast it out of foam latex. My friend had 'Batman neck syndrome' going on while she wore it. She had to turn her entire body to see anything.
On saturday, just hours before the contest with Jabba, I was in the Tenchi Muyo! photoshoot with a bunch of friends. This is one of my favorite pictures. I just knew that I needed something where I was looking for all of the Ryokos.
And I've resumed work on the Skirmisher. I cut and re-glued the muzzle to shorten it as I now realize the I modeled it too long. With that horrible task done, I can now resin the outside and put a thin layer of smoothcast on the interior.
The past month has kept me busy in preparation for Akon 23 in Dallas, which happened last weekend. I had three costumes to finish for the event. The first was the Asari headpiece for a friend. I had to take the plaster mold to the convention and demold and clean it up in room. There was a photoshoot with me in my Tal'i and my friend as Liara. Expect that to be posted in the coming month.
My second and biggest cosplay to finish was Jabba. It took my team and myself about a month to finish him. Of all the monster/alien things I've worn, this was them most stressful to move around in. But someone, myself and the other two girls inside him, managed to get him up a short flight of stairs, across a stage and down another set without killing ourselves. Unfortunately, we did not win anything for our efforts, but we're still happy with what we made and the skills we got to perfect. I'll be posting more WIP pictures of how we constructed him.
The last costume was Nagi from Tenchi Muyo. I was part of a large Tenchi group and we had an awesome photoshoot. Expect those pictures around the time as the Mass Effect, as they were taken by the same photographer, Judy.
Now to focus on the digigrade stilts I've been meaning to build and learn how to work with foam latex. I mean to finish building the Skirmisher.