Sorry about the cell phone picture.
I based this dagger off of the concept art because I found it to be a bit more elegant than the in-game version. It's multiple layers of Styrene, with spot putty and apoxie sculpt. Kinda funny that you can see part of Mehrune's Dagger on the right. That's my next project to finish.
Questions? Comments? Check out my group's cosplay page on FB: Shinka Studios
I'm thinking it's time to start selling some masks. At this moment, the Silence is the first up to bat. I've opened up an Etsy store under my group's name of Shinka Studios and we'll be selling stuff there. I should have at least one mask posted there within the month. And for those interested in custom commissions (helmets, weapons, and masks) I've put in a commissions form on my site under the resume/about tab.
My client (who is doing the movie in Austin) picked up the pistols today, along with the dogtags and the tablet. I'm really proud of the guns and I can't wait to build some more. I've got one more item to build for the client, but after next week, I'll open again for commissions.
Wow. A month to the day since my last post. I must apologize. I've been kept busy.
The main cause has been the props that I'm almost done making for The Ascendant, a pre-thesis movie being done by a grad student down in Austin.
And I'm in talks to possibly be hired to appear at an official launch party for a game studio in Austin in the coming months. (Fingers crossed) So, I've been playing around with my first set of prosthetics. Let me tell you, I'm not too crazy about PAX paint so far.
And there is still art. There is always art. ArtOrder has issued a new contest and I had to enter. With the new John Carter of Mars movie coming out, they want people to do an illustration from The Princess of Mars novel that the movie is based on.
I found the book online and have to say that I enjoyed it. I've got a sketch and am working on the final in Painter. I'll post the final or some WIP as it goes along.
After a few more rejections, I'm having my family and close friends read my manuscript so I can do another round of editing. And this goes for my query letter too. It's just so hard to take everything I've written and smash it into 250 words or less.
The 11th Dr is done. I think. I might go back before varnishing it and darken some of the shadows. But before I mess it up, I'm moving on to the 9th Dr.
I'm really happy with my progress on these oil paintings so far. I can even see myself getting better with each one. The strokes are becoming more natural and I'm even ignoring the pencil lines and just letting the paint do what it wants.
And movie news: Most of the prop concepts are close to %100. I just have one more to get approved and then I can start on the construction. I even went and picked up some half round styrene rods yesterday and words can not describe how excited I was to have them. I think it mostly stems from what I've seen Blind Squirrel and Volpin do with the same supplies and now I get my chance!
Just finished my first paid commission. I'd done commissions on Gaia before but that's different.
I found the pink armor to be an interesting challenge. I'd only done one other pink spartan before, though digitally.
And I'd like to thank my MC action figure for being such an amazing model throughout this process.
Seems my spring break is going to be busy. Not out in some amazing local, but busy with homework and freelance stuff. Of course, the addtion of my new Intuos 4 tablet helps. It was amazing to use last night. I just have to get used to having all the bottons assigned to whatever I need instead of using the actual keyboard. To break it in, I've decided to redo an old illustration. The one with the boy riding the dragon. And I've decided to enter a little art 'contest' on the blog of the AD for Wizards of the Coast.
Also, as stated on the first page, I'm going to be doing some small updates to the site. Mainly, removing and updating the artwork in the portfolio section.
One last note: I'll be done with the commission soon and will posting. I just need to do some more digital mockups to make sure I've got the angles right before I actually add in the final touches.
Yeah. Fun times. Not only do I have my normal homework to do, but the Illustration teacher wanted to challenge me and has given me an extra project.
I now have a month to storyboard as much of Neil Gailman's Neverwhere as I can. I'm excited though. Went out and bought a copy so that I can write notes in it. I'll be doing digitally too.
Also going to try and get the commission finished this weekend and some more of the novel written.
Another interesting note, my super loving mom has decided to investmore in my future by buying me a Wacom Intuos4 tablet. Unfortunatly, it's backwordered so I have no idea when it will come in. sob
Found time between classes to start some sketches of the potentail characters for my brother's Halo fan comic. He was nice enough to grab a bunch of good pictures from several angles of his friends.
Also, working more on my current commission. Messed around with the background digitally yesterday to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. Figured I post the cleaned up sketch too.